There was a time when choosing to proceed with solar panel installation was only advisable if you planned to be in your home for a very long time. It was taking decades for the energy savings to cover the cost of the solar panel system. With advances in the technology made in recent years, that is no longer the case. You can begin enjoying the financial benefits far sooner making solar panel installation a wise choice. Of course, there are other benefits to enjoy, including knowing you are doing something that is beneficial for our environment and adding value to your home. While solar panel installation should only be done by a professional, it can be helpful to understand what is involved. Here are the components needed for solar panel installation.
- Solar Panels- The type and number of panels will be determined by various factors, including your budget, space to put them, and the percentage of your power usage that you wish to cover with solar power.
- Solar Inverter- Since the power generated by solar panels is direct current and the electrical system in your home requires alternating current, a solar inverter is needed to convert it. There are several different types of solar inverters that can be used which your solar panel installation professional will discuss with you.
- Solar Racking- Before your solar panels can be installed on the roof, there needs to be racking put into place for them to attach to.
- Solar Performance Monitoring- It is important to be able to see how your solar power system is performing and that is what a monitoring system does.
- Solar Storage- While your solar panel installation will tie into the grid using net metering, you have the option, in most cases, of also having batteries to store some of the energy so that it can be used during a power outage.
Don’t be discouraged by the complexity of a solar panel installation as a professional will walk you through the entire process, including getting permits and working with your local power company. They’ll go over all the options with you so that you gain the benefits and meet the objectives that you have in mind.