Homeowners often have passionate opinions on the best way to do drain cleaning. There are many DIY solutions to drain cleaning, but of course not all techniques are created equal. Here is a short ranking of some of the most popular drain cleaning techniques ranked by quality of results.
- Running Water: Some people would rather ignore drain cleaning problems and just continue to run their faucet or shower and pretend like the running water will make the issue go away. Of course, this is not effective.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar: While many believe this combo tackles drains, it actually does little in the way of cleaning. Unfortunately, a fun chemical reaction is not the same thing as proper drain cleaning.
- Snaking: A snake can get any garbage out of a sink effectively and unclog the sink in the process.
- Plunging: A plunger will have the same effects as a snake but is used in pushing out blockages while a snake will pull them out entirely.
- Professional Plumber: Hiring a professional means that the job will be done better than the average joe, as well as require 0 effort on your part.
- Being Careful What is Drained: While many things can dirty a drain, being extra vigilant of what you put down the drain will prevent the drain from being dirty or clogged as often. The best offense for drain cleaning is a strong defense of preventing the drain from getting clogged.
While everyone does have their own special technique for drain cleaning, not every technique is as effective of the next. You are free to try as many as you’d like, but never forget what drain cleaning techniques are tried and true.